Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

When the funny goes away

I know I'm not the only that was heartbroken to hear of Robin William's death today.

I've loved him since Mork 'n' Mindy and I watched the video of him in "An Evening at The Met" so many times in the '80's I used to know parts of it off by heart.  I realised he was absolutely off his dial during these years but it did not take anything away from his comic genius, it was just really really fast comedy.  

His movies were diverse, from Mrs Doubtfire (which is on tonight), to The World According to Garp (loved this book and movie), Good Morning Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, Awakenings, The Fisher King, Good Will Hunting, Jumanji, The Birdcage, Night at the Museum, Aladdin and Happy Feet.  He also appeared in the video Don't Worry Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin.



There wasn't too much said about mental illness in the '80's.  But as time went on, more and more people in the spotlight came out and said they were suffering.  It wasn't just drug and alcohol addiction but an actual illness that they were self medicating.  I'm no expert, no counsellor or psychologist (I did do one term at TAFE as part of a Human Resources certificate - the only interesting part of the course!), but I believe there are huge number of people suffering an actual mental illness but seen as just junkies or drunks.

And to those that think depression is just a case of feeling sad sometimes, they haven't felt it or lived with someone who has.

How much do we know about depression and why do some people have it - what is it in the brain that just decides that it cannot cope with life. I'm not a researcher so have gone the easy way out and have included a Fact Sheet from The Black Dog Institute here.

Robin Williams loved to make people happy and worked hard at being the funniest man alive (in my opinion). But as he has said in various interviews, when he wasn't performing for an audience or a fan, he was a quiet and contemplative person.  He watched and saw the comedy in everyday situations and made fun of serious people.  

I absolutely loved Robin Williams and so did a lot of other people in the world - his wife, his children, his family, his millions of fans.  And if all that love couldn't save the funniest man on the planet, what kind of fucked up sad disease is that?

(If you're feeling sad and need help, please find some useful information here.)

If you want a laugh, watch this. Thank you Robin.

(An Evening at the Met, circa 1981)

and this from 2008 on my favourite British talk show.....

RIP RW x

4 comments:

  1. "And if all that love couldn't save the funniest man on the planet, what kind of fucked up sad disease is that?" - I was thinking about this all day yesterday.
    RIP RW. Nanu, nanu...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just so incredibly sad that he couldn't beat this. And I'm not saying that in judgement, just as the way it is. It's a bloody hard thing to fight. I hate depression. Just as much as cancer, because it's just as horrible and nasty, but it's so much more silent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh yesterday was a horrible day. So sad. This disease doesn't discriminate. Visiting via #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Keep 'em comin'! [All comments are moderated but all opinions are welcome.]